Are you interested in anime/manga and fantasy culture? Do you write science fiction or love to draw? Would you like to learn new coding skills? Then join the Octavia Project!
The Octavia Project Summer Institute is a free summer program inviting young women and trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming youth ages 14-18 to create connections between science fiction and fantasy in daily workshops that combine science, tech, art, and writing. Whether you want to write a book of fan fic or are an avid computer gamer, the Octavia Project welcomes you!
Our Summer Institute runs from July 6 – August 13. We meet four days a week—Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays—from 12:30pm-4:30pm. Workshops are held at the Pratt Institute MFA in Writing Community Space, on Classon Avenue in Brooklyn.
The Octavia Project encourages Brooklyn residents or students outside of, but able to travel to, the Brooklyn area to apply. Metrocards for travel to and from workshops will be provided to all participants.
An Octavia Project participant will finish the program armed with:
- An online multi-media portfolio of their work that can be used for college, job, or internship applications.
- Strengthened skills in digital-media, art, and writing, as well as a greater confidence in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- Access to a network of professional women and opportunities for fellowships and other leadership positions.
Octavia Project Participants are:
- Young women and trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming youth from Brooklyn who are 14 to 18 years old.
- Available to attend workshops four days a week, from 12:30-4:30pm, July 6-August 13.
- Into science fiction, fantasy, fan-fiction, art, writing, science, tech, gaming—or interested in learning more about these topics!
Complete an online application.
OR download and complete a word doc application. Email completed applications to enrollment [at] octaviaproject.org, or mail completed applications to:
Octavia Project, PO Box 381031, Brooklyn, NY 11238
Early application deadline is April 10. We will also accept applications on a rolling basis until May 31.
You will receive a call from us once we have reviewed your application.
Email us at enrollment [at] octaviaproject.org.
Download and share our flyer.