Are you interested in anime/manga and fantasy culture? Do you write science fiction or love to draw? Would you like to learn new coding skills? Then join the Octavia Project!
The Octavia Project Summer Institute is a free summer workshop program based in Brooklyn for young women and trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming youth ages 14-18 to bridge their love of science fiction, writing, art, and technology!
Our 6 week program runs from July 5 – August 12, 2021. We meet four days a week—Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays—from 12:30pm-4:30pm. If circumstances allow, workshops will be held in person at the Pratt Institute MFA in Writing Community Space on Classon Ave. in Brooklyn. If safety regulations do not allow for in-person instruction, we will hold a Hybrid or Virtual Summer Institute for summer 2021.
An Octavia Project participant will finish the program armed with:
- Strengthened skills in digital-media, art, and writing, as well as a greater confidence in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- A collective of peer creatives sharing thoughts and ideas.
- Access to a network of professional women and fellowships and other leadership opportunities.
- Publication in the Octavia Project zine.
Octavia Project Participants are:
- Young women and trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming youth from New York City, with the ability to travel to Brooklyn, who are 14 to 18 years old.
- Available to attend workshops four days a week, from 12:30-4:30pm, July 5th-August 12th.
- Into science fiction, fantasy, fan-fiction, art, writing, science, tech, gaming—or interested in learning more about these topics!
Submit an online application. Our early bird application deadline is April 3rd. We also welcome applications, on a rolling basis, until May 15th. If accepted, we will also share a permission form that requires a parent/guardian signature.
Please reach out if you have any issues completing the online form.
Email us at enrollment [at] octaviaproject.org.
Know someone who might be interested in joining us this summer? Send them our flyer!