Are you interested in anime/manga and fantasy culture? Do you write science fiction or love to draw? Would you like to learn new coding skills? Then join the Octavia Project!
The Octavia Project Summer Institute is a free summer workshop program based in Brooklyn for young women and trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming youth ages 14-18 to bridge their love of science fiction, writing, art, and technology!
Due to current safety regulations, we have made the decision to run a virtual program for Summer Institute 2021. If safety regulations allow, we will host select in-person field trips. Summer Institute workshops will run July 5 – August 5, Mondays – Thursdays from 12:30pm – 4pm. If there is a tech need to participate in the program, devices can be provided.
An Octavia Project participant will finish the program armed with:
- Strengthened skills in digital-media, art, and writing, as well as a greater confidence in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM).
- A collective of peer creatives sharing thoughts and ideas.
- Access to a network of professional women and fellowships and other leadership opportunities.
- Publication in the Octavia Project zine.
Octavia Project Participants are:
- Young women and trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming youth from New York City, with the ability to travel to Brooklyn, who are 14 to 18 years old.
- Available to attend workshops four days a week, from 12:30-4:30pm, July 5th-August 12th.
- Into science fiction, fantasy, fan-fiction, art, writing, science, tech, gaming—or interested in learning more about these topics!
Submit an online application. Our early bird application deadline is April 3rd. We also welcome applications, on a rolling basis, until May 15th. If accepted, we will also share a permission form that requires a parent/guardian signature.
Please reach out if you have any issues completing the online form.
Email us at enrollment [at] octaviaproject.org.
Know someone who might be interested in joining us this summer? Send them our flyer!